Istanbul, Nov 14 (IECurrentAffairs) Turkey has reiterated a call for Saudi Arabia to extradite 18 suspects accused of taking part in the assassination of prominent Saudi journalist Jamal Khashoggi, reported Middle East Eye.
Khashoggi, a Saudi insider-turned-critic and Washington Post columnist, was murdered at his country’s consulate in Istanbul on 2 October in an operation Saudi Arabia has since admitted was premeditated.
Saudi authorities have arrested 18 individuals in connection to the murder, including senior security officials who were members of the ‘kill squad’ that had flown to Istanbul prior to the murder.
Omer Celik, spokesman for the ruling Justice and Development Party (AKP), told a news conference on Wednesday that the suspects should face trial in Turkey because the crime was committed within its territory, an act which Turkey views as an attack on its sovereignty.
“The Saudi consulate is on Saudi territory but within the Republic of Turkey,” he said, adding that human rights groups should attend the trial.
Last weekend, Turkey’s President Recep Tayyip Erdogan acknowledged for the first time the existence of an audio recording of Khashoggi’s murder, and revealed it had been shared with United States, Britain, France, Germany and Saudi Arabia.